Powered By Blogger

Friday, October 1, 2010

Part of the Game


After reading the comments of this week, I see that a few of you want more recaps and less complaints about ringers and the other tired subjects that we beat into the ground. Well, I can't tell you everything that happened last week, but I can tell you what happened with the Whalers and the Jets.


The Jets stay with the Whalers through a scoreless first period, but eventually fall to the Whalers 4-1. The Whalers and the Jets are usually a pretty good match-up. Last season the Jets beat us in the regular season, but we won in the playoffs. Unfortunately, a very good game by both teams ended with a few sparks. In my opinion, neither guy involved was innocent, so I'm not about to point fingers or complain. It happens.


Unrelated to that episode, I wanted to bring up a few things for discussion. It's clear that the league consists of guys and girls with different levels of hockey experience. Some realize that there are certain times and places on the ice that result in rough play. If you are in front of my goalie, you might get leaned on, bumped, tapped on the pads or pushed around a bit. If you give that back, you'll probably get a little more next time. If you have a decent understanding of the game, you would skate away from that situation thinking, "that was fun and I did my job". If you were new to the game, you might be thinking, "I can't believe that idiot tried to push me down!" You would then scream at the ref about what a dirty player the other guy was and spend the rest of the game focused on him rather than winning the game. Are you following me? I'm wondering if some (not all) of the crap that happens on the ice is started when someone just doesn't get it. So, if you feel like you are getting roughed up or picked on, just think about it for a second. It might be part of the game... yes, even in Bronze League.

6 comments:

  1. Good post 40, and yes it is true, there is rough stuff that happens in hockey and it is part of the game. Full on checking or throwing elbows are not part of a non contact league, but there is some bumping and grinding that will occur. In the USA Hockey Magazine last month there was a good article on the battles in front of the net between wingers and defensemen. It is a non checking league, but that doesnt mean that a defenseman has to sit there and allow a winger to just sit and wait for a rebound right in front of the goalie. Its the defensemans job to make sure his goalie has a clear view of the action in the zone so he can stop any shots that come his or her way.

    Some people get offended by the pushing and shoving that occurs down in the crease, and on the flip side of that coin some defensemen take it too far and push harder or in some cases chop harder than they should.

    So far this season we have seen cooler heads prevailing which is very encouraging. Glad to see neither player in the Jets Whalers game took it over the top. Jets and Whalers have been a great rivalry, and I am sure that they will continue to keep that up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me.

    Can someone let #16 on the Spider Monkeys know he left his tampons in the locker room last night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll push and shove when i know its a battle for space or the puck, that is hockey. I was pissed at #15 of the stingers last night because he tried to push me into my goalie when the puck wasn't near us. Its all good, i like a little heat in games, makes it fun. theres passion in hockey, period. Now the thing i can do is leave it on the ice, i have no grudge for #15, it was just competive hockey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOOOOOOOhh, goodie! Bitch talk!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! AGREED about the normal pushing, shoving, slightly escalating... we should all call that ... hockey, ya? Then a decent forward who wants to move around based on team and puck position to find a good scoring spot, will do just that, vs. start "crease fight 2010" - (yeah, like I'm some expert) - but my point is, be competitive and have a blast, couldn't agree more on both.

    We're glad to be here, look forward to a second season of great games, win or lose. Me, I need the workout, haha...

    Mitch Gnatowsky, M.I.B. Coordinator (one of two)

    ReplyDelete