Powered By Blogger

Monday, January 18, 2010

Spot Light On....Bill Ivey



When he's not between the pipes, he's throwing out nuggets of hockey wisdom on the bench as a coach. Spot Light On catches up with coach Ivey, a guy who has a extensive hockey background and a passion to share it.

Home town? Albany, Ga Grew up in Jacksonville, Fl. Went to Philly when I got out of the Army in 1970..

Hockey experience? Started playing goal in 1974 in Philly where the Flyers practiced. Played on several A and B level Mens leagues and industrial leagues.. Spent 2 summers with the U of Delaware Hockey team as their summer practice goalie. Great experience. Went to Tampa after several years off the ice and I started back. I haven't been off the ice since. Came to DFW in 1998. Played at Blueline (Now NYTEX) from it's first days and all over the Metroplex.

Played with the locals against some ESPN and collage players between Stanley Cup finals games at the old Reunion Arena. Fantastic time. Participated in the first DFW Goalie camps of Mitch Korn and Billy Pye and have been coaching goalies ever since.

Current/Past teams? Only fill in when teams are very desperate now. VERY DESPERATE...

Hobbies? HOCKEY and coaching goalies of ALL ages...

Pre game ritual? Wishing I was somewhere else..

Hockey Hero? Bernie Parent Hall of Fame Goalie for the Flyers and Wayne Stephenson also with the Flyers

Hockey Nemesis? Any team playing the Flyers...

If you could have one superpower, what would it be? Invisibility I like to watch...

Ginger or Mary Anne? Mary Anne of course. Ginger can't cook.

Your message to the NYTEX Hockey community is? This is a great sport. Learn it and you will have something to enjoy for the rest of your life. Stop worrying about winning games and play to get better so you can enjoy the game itself.

Try to remember that the GAME of hockey is more than just scoring goals. Think, what other sport gives the same value to the person assisting on a goal as to the one that makes the goal...



To really win at this sport especially at the amatuer level you have to not be selfish. Winning is only part of the reason we play.

With all the upheaval we have faced lately this ice is still a place we can come to and escape it all...I know this game has changed me as I have gotten older. Knute Anderson gave me the best compliment. He said I have a passion for the game and all that is involved in it... Some folks find that a fault but a lot more of you have shown me that you also have a passion for the sport. That is why I come out and coach.

Last little gem for you... All who think goalies have an easy job need to play it once. (I will be glad to help find you some gear to use)All that think it is easy need to remember this. (I tell all my goalies and their parents) A goalie never wins the game but he is always the one to lose it... The goalie is the only player on the ice that can not make a mistake... Other than that there is no pressure....

Thanks for playing.

8 comments:

  1. Coach Bill is a badass. He will make you a better player but Do Not Piss Him Off!
    Rick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all you do for us. I can't wait to get back out there. I need to work on my edges really bad....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bill Ivey has the heart of a Lion. He does all this coaching and help with the Bronze and Silver Leagues for FREE. That is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everytime this guy is on the other teams bench the third period is a bitch because he is constantly coaching and helping teams exploit what the other team is giving them. Wish there were more bill ivey's around, but the hickey gods made just one.

    We are fortunate to have him in the area. Thx bill!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol, the hockey gods only made one bill ivey. The hickey gods made several (so they say up in Phili). So much for blogging while on pain meds aye.

    ReplyDelete
  6. #66 - Jags (#99 - Ice Kings)January 19, 2010 at 8:23 PM

    Thanks Bill. You are the best. Don't care what anyone says about your hollering behind the bench. Your hollering will make or break a hockey player. I agree with most your comments. Take care old timer....:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stingers #27

    Steve says... Bill Ivey, love him or hate him, the guy can help to make you a better player. He knows the game. I have seen the way he has taught some of you guys, who will listen, the way to go about thinking how to play this game. I have seen the improvement of those very same players, too.

    He will give you the shirt off his back, too. In my case, it was his helmet. I was a dumb ass and left it home, he gave me his! He said, "Just get it back to me when you can..."

    Bill, thanks for caring about this game. Thanks for the willing ness to give of your time to help others learn it. But most of all, thanks for being Bill Ivey. I am glad you are around.

    See you on the ice, asshole!

    Love ya, man!

    Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really appreciate being able to work with ALL of the players at NYTEX. I have worked hard at being a little less profane behind the bench. Yeah scary isn't it.. Also to be more aware of each skater as an individual. For the folks that find themselves unable to deal with me NYTEX has recruited others to be behind your bench... This league is filling up with players that want to learn and get better. Oh and Steve, it only took a week of boiling to get those "what ever they where" out of my helmet..

    ReplyDelete